Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Will's First Dentist Appointment and Some Back Story

Will went to his first dentist appointment on Friday, October 7th.  I was really nervous to take him because I didn't know how he would react to the whole situation.  And Clay completely put it out of his mind because he hates the dentist.

At Will's two-year-old well-check in March, our pediatrician recommended that we see a dentist for simple check-up before Will turned three.  Clay and i had been asking around about potential dentists and we were just waiting to find the right one before we made an appointment.

Of course, Will being the child he is, kind of sped up the process a little for us.  On Wednesday, September 28th, we were at Chick-fil-A with Kristen and Jordan having dinner. Will was in the play place and he was being a little rowdy. I should have known then to just take him out but I didn't.  He decided it would be a good idea to jump backwards off the one of the steps.  When he did, he hit his mouth on the step coming down and busted his gum pretty badly. He was bleeding like crazy and I freaked out.

Thankfully, Kristen was there to help me and calm me down. My mom was just up the street at a church service so I called and she was there in a few seconds. Once we got the bleeding under control, we noticed that one of his front teeth was pushed back a little.  We called our friend, who is a dental hygienist, and took Will to see her. She said everything looked okay but there may be some damage.  It was just a wait and see kind of thing.

Will's gums were pretty swollen and bruised up the next day, so I kept him home from school.  He only complained once about pain when he was trying to eat a chicken nugget.  After that we didn't hear any complaints from him. 

So all that lead up to us going to his first dentist appointment. We took the advice of our friend and went to a pediatric dentist she knew.  I am so glad because Dr. V is wonderful and he is an Auburn grad! 

Will was a little apprehensive at first. To be truthful, so was I.  He did cry a little bit when Dr. V started looking at his teeth and I could tell he was scared.  After about 5 minutes, he calmed down and the rest of the appointment went smoothly.  Dr. V told us the tooth looked fine but there would be no way to tell if there was nerve damage.  So hopefully its fine but we will be able to tell more as time goes on.

After Will's appointment, I took him to Target to get a prize for being so good.  He had fun playing with this little hat in the dollar section.  This was the only picture I got all day. :(


We go back for a cleaning in December, so I hope we have a good experience then.  Will seems to be okay with everything that happened because he has told everyone about how he went to the dentist. 

Another first for our little boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment